Thursday, September 23, 2010

Study how a simple sentence can be changed into a more creative and vivid sentence

Study how a simple sentence can be changed into a more creative and vivid sentence

The table was filled with mouth-watering dishes.
Sandwiches, curry puffs, cookies and ice-cream in every flavour filled the table.

He pushed his way into the crowd.
He jostled and nudged his way into the crowd.

He was fat and heavy.
He sat on the sofa which sagged under his weight.

She was frightened when she opened her result slip.
With trembling fingers, she opened her result slip.

An old man with no teeth and an evil smile walked towards me.
A toothless old man with a wicked grin walked towards me.

The continuous ticking of the grandfather’s clock disturbed the silence.
‘Tick…Tock…Tick…Tock …’ the grandfather’s clock disturbed the silence.

The music was nice to hear.
The melodious music was soothing to my ears.

It is a windy day.
The wind blew gently as the leaves rustled in the trees.

I was approached by a very old lady.
An old lady whose face was wrinkled like a prune approached me.

It is very noisy outside my house.
Cars screech, children scream, dogs bark outside my house.

It was going to rain.
The great heavy clouds swept over the hills, the lightning flashed and the thunder roared.

The rain flooded the river.
The river was swollen with continuous rain.

He spoke loudly.
His booming voice filled the auditorium.

The police questioned the robber thoroughly.
The police grilled the robber.

The pain was unbearable.
He screamed more than he had ever screamed in his whole life, as the pain was too unbearable.

The teenagers pushed to get closer to their superstar.
The teenagers jostled and nudged each other to get closer to the superstar.

He smiled.
He grinned showing all his brilliant white teeth.

My mother greeted me warmly.
My mother hugged me and planted sweet kisses on my face.

The sun set slowly.
The large bright sun dipped slowly over the horizon and disappeared.

My teacher praised me.
My teacher heaped praises on me.

She walked out very dejected.
She walked with her head hung low.

He looked around suspiciously when he entered the room.
His eyes darted hither and thither when he entered the room.

Vinod waited nervously for the school principal.
Vinod drummed his fingers on the table as he waited for the school principal.

My grandmother is so old that she can hardly see.
My grandmother has to squint her eyes to see through her glasses.

She cried and cried uncontrollably.
She could not stifle her sobs nor hold back her tears.

She is so beautiful and has sharp features.
She has a delicate chiseled face and black eyebrows angled like a soaring seagull’s wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment