Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Wed (21 July) 'Show' Sentences; Anger, Scared, Overjoyed

‘Show’ Sentences for ANGER

Her face turned red/ flushed with anger.
Looked fuming with rage.
She stormed out/ stamped her feet out/ of the room./ stamped her feet in frustration
Slammed the door.
Pushed/ kicked the chair
Threw things onto the floor.
Screamed vulgarities at
Sullen and bad-tempered
As fierce as a lion
Screamed like a hyena/yelled loudly
Unblinking eyes flashed with anger
Eyes staring like daggers
Icy cold stares
Stand at akimbo
Clenching your fists
Hatred/anger boiling inside you
Hell broke loose

exasperate - to infuriate or frustrate
indignant - angry and resentful
perturb - to annoy or trouble
rancor - hatred
ire - Angry and wrathful.
rage - Violent anger
furor - Violent anger
spite - hard feelings, has a slight feel of revenge.
antipathy - a strong dislike
disaffected - full of resentment
disconcerted - disturbed or upset
aversion - another strong dislike
contentious - argumentative or quarrelsome
Madder than a wet hen.
Mad enough to spit nails.
Seeing red.
rebuke or reprove
he's put out (also meaning 'troubled', 'bothered', 'inconvenienced')
"his feathers are ruffled
s/o (or s/th) has got under his skin
s/o (or s/th) has rubbed him up the wrong way
he's cheesed off with s/o (but beware: "he's cheesed off" on its own usually means "he's bored" or "he's depressed").

“I don’t want to be hard on you, but your behaviour on this matter is not appropriate.”
“It was quite inappropriate to say that!”
“What an inappropriate gift for a child”

I regret ….
I regret every moment I spent with you.
I hope the delay has not caused any inconvenience to our customers”
Disappoint..“I was quite disappointed when you cancelled the appointment”
“Not sending me a letter or a little note in order to explain what really happened was a kind of a disappointment for me.”
Afflict (maybe little harsh but can be used in extreme situations)
I was afflicted with/by your …”

Someone or something that makes you irritated or mad can:
Get your back up....(picture an angry cat!)
Get your goatGet your dander up
Set your teeth on edge....(sort of like the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard!)

If you yell at someone, you can:
Read them the riot act.......To read the riot act to someone
Let loose on them
Go off on them
Rake them over the coals
Give them a tongue lashing
Clean their clock.....(this can mean physical violence, too.)

If you want to argue with someone, you:
Have a bone to pick........(this is more for a certain cause)
Have a chip on your shoulder...........(this carries a sense of defiance, or a long lasting grudge)

If you lose control suddenly you can:
Blow your top
Flip your lid
Fly off the handle....(this has the sense of being angry for little cause, maybe you assume something incorrectly.)
Go off half-cocked.....(This one, too. These two are usually used in an apology!)
You can be:As mad as hops....(I think that's British.)
Hopping mad.......(I think that's American.)
Bristling with anger
You can:Catch an attitude
Have an attitude
Get riled......Get riled up
Be vexed with someone.


Embarrassment
Cheeks turned red with embarrassment/
Blushed so furiously that his ears turned pink
His ears turned flame coloured
Covered his eyes with his hands
Face turned lobster red
Lowered his eyes, avoiding her gaze
Smiled sheepishly
Close his eyes
Dashed to the toilet
Too embarrassed to utter a word

Overjoyed/Happiness
At cloud nine
Jumped up and down
Felt like flying
Screamed in joy
Unexpected excitement
Shrieked with excitement
Smiled gleefully
Started singing and dancing
Promised treats for others

Wonder
We listened in rapt attention to the tour guide
The children, totally enthralled by the show, stood wide-eyed at the cast.
"Wow!" We could not help but marvel at the fine spread.
Stupefied, we gazed at the chests of jewellery in the cave.
We stood there in awestruck silence.
To my astonishment, my new teacher was my cousin!
"Really? Tell me more," he was fascinated.
"Mmmm..." the judges nodded and seemed totally impressed.
The performance was certainly dazzling!
What are you gaping at?
The children watched spellbound at the puppets as they came alive in front of them.
A hush fell over the auditorium as the audience gasped in wonder. Several minutes later, thunderous applause broke out spontaneously.
She was totally mesmerised by the spectacular performance.
The performance was simply electrifying!


Scared/afraid
Hair-raising experience
Biting his teeth/nails
Legs numbed like jelly
Trembling/shaking
Having butterflies in the stomach
Urinated in his pants
Covered one’s eyes

Some other ways to describe being scared are;
It frightened the life out of me
I was shaking like a leaf
He/she was as white as a ghost
My stomach was churning
I was so frightened I was as sick as a dog
"Shaking in my boots"Scared stiff
to scare the pants off ...
to scare the Dickens out of...
running scared...
that scared me so much I thought my hair turned white
scared strait...
scared speechless...
Scared witlessScared rigidScared out of my skin

terrified, frightened, afraid, panicked, terror-stricken, aghast
to daunt to appal (it means more to shock than frighten), to horrify, to affright

Terror
She was immobilised with fear.
Her face turned pale with fear.
We were paralysed by terror.
His courage melted away at the sight of the cane.
My heart pounded at an amazing speed.
Terrified, I buried myself under the covers and pulled my blanket right up to my neck.
The harder I tried to keep my mind from wild thoughts, the faster my mind raced.
My blood ran cold.
My body stiffened at the sight of the first blow approaching.
I froze.
Beads of perspiration formed on my forehead and my hands became clammy.
My legs turned jelly-like as I retreated.
A tingling sensation ran down my spine.
The scream was heart-stopping and ear-piercing/ blood-curdling.
"Don't ...don't shout! I'll give you everything!" He waved frantically as his voice trembled.
My heart skipped a beat.
I broke out in cold sweat.
I ran... and ran... and ran...till my face turned red and my legs turned weak.
My mind raced with wild thoughts.
Huddled in a corner, the hostages squatted with their hands at the back of their heads.
I steeled myself to take a quick peep at the syringe and needle.
My heart was pounding fast and hard/ faster by the minute.
"Somebody! Help me!" I pounded at the lift buttons fiercely. I was near hysteria.
She cowered in a corner.
I recoiled at the sight of the badly mutilated corpse.
He felt his stomach lurch as he saw the horrible sight.
Driven by fear, I raced blindly ahead.


Shock
To my astonishment, it was a puppy.
My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. "Where's my money?" she gasped.
Gasping for breath, she clasped her hand over her mouth.
I looked up, startled by the sudden sound.
"What? That's all you have?" I exclaimed in disbelief.
"What? Which hospital?" Mother's face turned pale and her voice faltered.
Dumbfounded, I stood rooted to the ground.
I opened my mouth to speak but no words came out.
Her lips parted but no words came out.
Stupefied, I turned speechless.
He was in a daze.
There was an incredulous look on her face. "It couldn't be ...it couldn't be my Monica..." She continued to shake her head in denial."Not my Monica."
Her lips were pulled back into a strangled scream.
She was completely bewildered by the strange sight.
The news astounded the neighbours and sent them talking.


Sadness
Eyes reddened and turned moist
Tears brimmed in her reddened eyes
Her eyes were puffy and her nose red after crying
She broke out into loud, uncontrollable sobs which escalated into wails
It broke my heart to see the coffin lowwered into the grave
Overwhelmed by self-pity, she started to weep
Tears welled up in her eyes as she felt her worls collapse.
Wiping away a teardrop with the back of her hand, she forced a faint smile, "I am all right, really."
She let her tears flow down her cheeks, her neck and onto her dress. She did not care about looking pretty anymore.
Her face was tear-stained.
"Don't talk about it anymore," she avoided my eyes and sniffed.
"Mama, mama..." his little face creased with sorrow as he started to bawl.
Misery was written all over her face.
My heart ached.
I could hear my heart shatter into a million pieces.
Choked with emotions, I hugged her only briefly, "Goodbye, Mum!"
Fighting back tears, I smiled at her and patted her lightly on the hand, "You'll get well soon!"
I choked on my tears and hugged her hard, "Goodbye!"
Her face was etched with sorrow.


Tiredness
Drowsy and weary, he drifted off to sleep without even realising it.
His face was pale and his eyes bloodshot.
The child made feeble attempts at keeping his eyes open but eventually he dozed off.
I stifled a yawn and rubbed my bleary eyes.
My eyelids felt as heavy as lead. No matter how hard I tried, I just could not keep them open anymore. The untidy scrawl gradually reduced to illegible snakelike drawings.
Overcame by fatigue, he propped his head on one hand and started snoring on the sofa.
His whole body ached in protest but he forced himself to go on.
After a long day, I trudged home wearily, lugging my heavy school bag.
My school bag seemed extraordinarily heavy. My shoulders stooped even more.
Numbed with exhaustion, I stared blankly at the lines of words on the book.
I sat in a slouch, my armssprawled carelessly on the table.
She shuffled to her little room and sighed with weariness.
I was panting, gasping and sweating.
I could feel the weariness in my bones.
Halfway through the race, she was already huffing and puffing.
I staggered under the heavy weight of the sack and very nearly collapsed at the door.
He laboured up the stairs.

No comments: